Set the number of rings before answering
If you turn on the Auto Answer setting, you can specify how many rings occur before
incoming calls are automatically answered.
The Rings to Answer setting is important if you have an answering machine on the same
phone line as the device, because you want the answering machine to answer the phone
before the device does. The number of rings to answer for the device should be greater
than the number of rings to answer for the answering machine.
For example, set your answering machine to a low number of rings and the device to
answer in the maximum number of rings. (The maximum number of rings varies by
country/region.) In this setup, the answering machine answers the call and the device
monitors the line. If the device detects fax tones, it receives the fax. If the call is a voice
call, the answering machine records the incoming message.
To set the number of rings before answering via the device control panel
1. Press Setup.
2. Press right arrow to select Fax Settings, and then press OK.
3. Press right arrow to select Answer Options, and then press OK.
4. Press right arrow to select Rings to Answer, and then press OK.
5. Enter the appropriate number of rings by using the keypad, or press left arrow or
right arrow to change the number of rings.
6. Press OK to accept the setting.