Set up the device with a computer dial-up modem
If you are using the same phone line for sending faxes and for a computer dial-up modem, follow
these directions for setting up the device.
Back view of the device
Telephone wall jack
Use the phone cord supplied in the box with the device to connect to the
You might need to connect the supplied phone cord to the adapter
provided for your country/region.
Computer with modem
To set up the device with a computer dial-up modem
1. Remove the white plug from the port labeled 2-EXT on the back of the device.
2. Find the phone cord that connects from the back of your computer (your computer dial-up
modem) to a telephone wall jack. Disconnect the cord from the telephone wall jack and plug it
into the port labeled 2-EXT on the back of the device.
3. Using the phone cord supplied in the box with the device, connect one end to your telephone
wall jack, then connect the other end to the port labeled 1-LINE on the back of the device.
NOTE: You might need to connect the supplied phone cord to the adapter provided for
If you do not use the supplied cord to connect from the telephone wall jack to the device,
you might not be able to fax successfully. This special phone cord is different from the phone
cords you might already have in your home or office.
4. If your modem software is set to receive faxes to your computer automatically, turn off that
NOTE: If you do not turn off the automatic fax reception setting in your modem software,
the device will not be able to receive faxes.
5. Turn on the Auto Answer setting.
6. (Optional) Change the Rings to Answer setting to the lowest setting (two rings).
7. Run a fax test.
When the phone rings, the device automatically answers after the number of rings you set in the
Rings to Answer setting. The device begins emitting fax reception tones to the sending fax machine
and receives the fax.
If you encounter problems setting up the device with optional equipment, contact your local service
provider or vendor for further assistance.
Additional fax setup